The Clean Energy Solutions Center, in partnership with OpenExp, will host this webinar to launch the report, Modernisation of the Energy Charter Treaty (ECT): A Global Tragedy at a High Cost for Taxpayers. A presentation by Dr. Yamina Saheb will highlight the main findings of the report and provide the audience timely analysis of the ECT modernization process before the first negotiation round planned in April 2020.
The presentation will be followed by a panel discussion and an interactive question and answer session with the audience
- Dr. Yamina Saheb, OpenExp, Senior Climate and Energy Policy Analysit
- Dr. Silvia Baule, European Commission, Deputy Head of Investment Unit at DG Trade
- Ms. Chiara Galiffa, European Commission, Expert on Legal Affairs and Dispute Settlement at DG Trade
- Ms. Anna Cavazzini, European Parliament, Member of the Committee on International Trade
- Mr. Marcel Alers, United Nations Development Program, Head of Energy Department
- Ms. Amandine Van Den Berghe, Client Earth, Lawyer on Trade and Environment
- Moderator: Mr. Rod Janssen, Energy in Demand
About the Energy Charter Treaty
The Energy Charter Treaty (ECT) is a multilateral agreement which grants binding protection for foreign investment in energy supply (coal, oil, gas, nuclear and electricity). Under the ECT regime, provisions on Investor-State-Dispute-Settlement (ISDS) allow foreign investors (companies, holdings, financial institutions and individuals) to allege treaty violations by suing states through ad hoc arbitration tribunals composed of private lawyers. More information on the ECT is available here.